History and Background:
Fisheries Action Coalition Team (FACT) is a coalition of NGOs established in 2000 by a group of NGO members working on fisheries and environmental issues around the Tonle Sap Lake. It was established as part of the environment project of the NGO Forum on Cambodia. At that time, a group of NGOs interested in fisheries issues formed a sub-working group which then was supported by different international NGOs such as Oxfam, NGO Forum on Cambodia, and Environment Justice-Foundation. The group of eight NGOs later decided to form the Fisheries Action Coalition Team. In January 2004, FACT separated forum the NGO Forum on Cambodia following the reform in fisheries sector of Cambodia, in which the government declared to release up to 56% of the commercial fishing lots to community management. FACT’s active members are all Cambodian NGO staff members who are committed to conducting advocacy in fisheries issues and monitoring policy reforms.
FACT’s program mobilizes provincial NGOs and Community Based Organizations (CBOs) to more effective conduct advocacy programs that respond to development policies and development programs. FACT focuses its work around the Tonle Sap, Coastal and Mekong provinces, on issues that affect Cambodian communities’ livelihoods. FACT collaborates with NGOs concerned with fisheries involved with local fishing communities. FACT works towards building a strong coalition of NGOs and local grassroots’ organizations to protect fisheries, water resources and other natural resources in Tonle Sap Lake, Mekong River, and Cambodian marine regions along the coastal provinces.
FACT is a Cambodian NGO who supports advocacy activities for Cambodia fishers (through network, capacity development, and other related activities) to protect and conserve fisheries resources.
FACT envisions Cambodian fishers exercise their rights and take ownership in sustainably managing and utilization of fisheries resources to improve their livelihoods.
FACT mission is to develop capacity of and work with Coalition of Cambodian Fishers and NGOs, research and disseminate information, and facilitate dialogues between relevant stakeholders in order to empower fishers to become a strong social force in sustainably conserving and developing fisheries resources.
The Coalition of Cambodian Fishers and NGOs are capable, and their activities are well implemented and effective that ensure the voice of fishers are heard, supported and positive changes are made.
- Fishers must receive full rights and social equity.
- Work as coalition is a strong force that leads to positive changes.
- Participation and transparency create trust for all stakeholders.
- Women’s contributions a catalyst for change.
- Ethnics and professionalism achieve effectiveness and efficiency in our work.
Strategic Goals 2015 – 2019:
- Strengthening the Coalition of Cambodian Fishers, and CBOs
- Strengthening NGO Coalition in addressing fisheries issues
- Promoting the conservation of fisheries resources
- Promoting good governance in fisheries sector
- Conducting research and publicizing for advocacy purpose
- Working with stakeholders to address negative impact of climate change
- Supporting poor fishers for alternative occupations/incomes
- Addressing Gender issue
- Strengthening of FACT internal management and development